Further Articles

Further Articles



The following has been received from Mr Tony Davies (Rtd. PC280):

I have seen the article on the NARPO website and can add to that. I was posted to Ystradgynlais in November 1970 and on arriving I was asked if I held a motor cycle licence which I did. I was then shown a DMW motor cycle parked up in the station garage – the bike had not been used for ages as not one Police Officer held a motor cycle licence! As you can imagine, I had one hell of a job to start it.

During my time at Ystradgynlais I patrolled on the DMW regularly and ran dispatches to Ammanford every week through 1971. The bike I rode is identical to the one in the photo and I believe it was replaced by a BSA 250cc in 1972 which I used until leaving Ystradgynlais for Tenby in October 1974.



The following has been received from Mr Berwyn Williams, a regular contributor to the NARPO website:

Following on from the recent article Looking back at my time in Mid-Wales by Peter Griffin (PC153/753).
Regarding the DMW motorcycle that Peter rode while he was stationed at Newtown in the 60’s. I spoke to my son-in-law as he is a very keen motor cyclist and he told me that his friend had an ex-Police DMW motor cycle which he says was being used in Pembrokeshire. I asked my son-in-law to take photos of the bike so that I could send it on to you (see below).


Looking at the number plate of the DMW it looks as if it is a Mid Wales plate and possibly the very DMW that Peter Griffin rode. (The EP prefix confirms that the motor cycle was first registered in Montgomeryshire and the C suffix indicates it was first registered in 1965). 

Many thanks to Berwyn and his son-in-law for supplying the photgraphs 

Note: The machine was never popular with the general public but was very successful in the rural police service as a number of police forces used them including Wolverhampton, which had eight.The Police versions were equipped with a radio and a blue flashing light and the selling price to the general public was £380.



A ‘fond’ memory of the DMW motor cycle by Phil Hopkins

Some of you, particularly  those who served in the old Mid Wales Constabulary / D Division areas, may remember Peter Griffin (PC 753) and his wife Megan (WPC 147) who served in the area in the mid 1960’s to 1970 prior to Peter transferring to West Mercia (Megan had already finished in the police to raise their family).

Peter recalls the DMW motor cycle and makes the following comment:

'I am pretty certain that there was not a DMW at Llandrindod but they did have a Land Rover because of the heavy snowfalls experienced every winter.'

A 1966 police 'Deemster; as seen at the Black Country Vehicle Rally in 2002.
I served with Peter in Llandrindod Wells – as did our webmaster Hugh Colley, as we had both been posted there from Bridgend. I am able to say with certainty that Peter is wrong in this respect, as the following tale will show.

Like Peter, I had passed my motor cycle test before joining the police and so I was a valuable asset in that I was able to be sent on rural enquiries on this beast of a machine!   Yes, there was indeed a DMW in Llandrindod!  At that time, the Land Rover was the only police vehicle in Llandrindod (apart from the patrol cars and the CID vehicle) and it was very rare that you would be allowed to drive the Land Rover – especially as a young probationer!

One day, I was sent on an enquiry which took me up a country lane in Howey, a small village a couple of miles from Llandrindod.  As I was driving up the lane, I saw a young schoolboy on a push bike in the road a couple of hundred yards in front of me.  In case this lad hadn’t seen me, I eased off the throttle as I approached him. He still didn’t seem to have noticed me, so when thirty or forty yards away from him; I decided that an evasive course of action was necessary, so slammed on the brakes.  The inevitable happened due in no small part to the small wheels of the motor bike – I came off!   It was only my pride that was hurt, dismounting the machine in such a fashion in front of this young lad!  Fortunately, the vehicle suffered only minor damage and after ascertaining details of this schoolboy, I was able to return to the Station, where I completed the accident report myself – no need for a supervisory officer to attend in those days!

I suspect that this incident weighed heavily on the mind of this youngster and that he was not very impressed with my motor cycle skills, thinking that he could do better, since he joined the Dyfed Powys Police not many years later and ended up riding “proper” motor cycles.This incident occurred around forty six years ago and Ian Mills (for it was he, spending the majority of his service in the Brecon area) and I to this day disagree who was at fault – we still blame each other!      

N.B. Ian has been requested to provide his version of events which is eagerly awaited!  


LOOKING BACK AT MY TIME IN MID-WALES by Mr Peter Griffin (PC 153 / 753)

(To read as a PDF file with photos - click on Looking Back). 

I have been looking through the old photographs on the Dyfed Powys NARPO website and came across some very interesting photos from the days of the Mid-Wales Constabulary.

My wife Megan (nee Owens) No. 147 and I served with the Mid-Wales Constabulary during the middle to late '60's. Meg left the force before amalgamation in 1968 but I served until 1970 when I transferred to West Mercia Constabulary. We were both stationed at Newtown and Llandrindod Wells - I also spent a short time at Welshpool.

As far as I recall the Mid-Wales Constabulary only had one DMW bike which was based at Newtown although there may have been one in Breconshire division. Soon after being moved to Newtown from Welshpool (to get married) it was discovered that I had a full motorcycle licence even though I did not own a bike. This ensured that I was ‘volunteered’ to ride this machine.

I do not have many fond memories of it as it was a pig to start, being fitted with a Villiers 250 cc two stroke engine. It was also very top-heavy due to its large body and fairly small wheels. I recall on one windy day passing a field gateway in a high hedge and being blown to the offside of the road. 

Some of pictures on the website show the floods at the police headquarters in Newtown. On one particular night I was sent out in the pouring rain on the DMW to warn farmers without telephone, to move their animals to higher ground because the Severn was about to flood. As you can imagine it was extremely difficult to ride the bike along the muddy farm tracks in pouring rain.

Before the flood barriers were erected, among the first buildings to flood were the town police station and HQ. The ground floors of both buildings would be several feet deep in muddy river water. The business of the police station would be conducted from the first floor of a solicitor’s office in Broad Street.

After being stationed at Newtown I was posted to Llandrindod Wells Traffic and at that time Meg was the only Police Woman for that division. I am pretty certain that there was not a DMW at Llandrindod but they did have a Land Rover because of the heavy snowfalls experienced every winter. 

The Ford Zephyr 6 BEP 201C is identical to the patrol cars I drove in Llandrindod Wells and it could well be the actual vehicle that was based there but after all this time I cannot be 100% sure.  I do recall that one of them had the Reg. No. TEP100 and this was my first allocated car which is very similar to the one in the picture.

When we first went to ‘Llandod,’ Superintendent Mervyn Morgan was the Officer- in- Charge, together with Inspector Wyndham Slee. Johnny Morris was the Traffic Sergeant followed shortly after amalgamation by Hywel Bevan.

During my service at Llandrindod Wells I worked with many officers on Traffic including Terry Rees, Richie Thomas, Mike Richards, Brian Oakley, Trevor Millichip, and DAL James. I also fondly remember many former colleagues from my time there including Chief Inspector Jim Murphy and  Inspector Geoff ‘Duff’ Edwards who was the examiner when Megan took her driving test – a lovely man (he passed her)!

Also stationed there were Sergeants John Tutty, Bert Mills, Ernie Herbert and DS Tony Williams. PC's: Colin Williams, Geoff Hopkins, Phil Rees, Jim Humphreys, Barry Hicks, Deri Evans, Russell Morgan, Cyril Hendy, DC Ralph Rees, together with two young probationers, Phil Hopkins and Hugh Colley. It is with sadness that so many that we worked with have now gone on to patrol that beat in the sky.

There were of course many more, but your memory lets you down. However, I have fond memories of my time in the force and the men and women that I worked with - it was in my view a happy time.

Meg and I lived in the flat above the Police Station for a time – it was originally the Sergeant’s flat and both our daughters were born in Llandrindod Wells hospital. When space had to be found for Ken Howarth (Home Office Radio Engineer), one bedroom was given over to Ken and it became a compact two bedroom flat.

About 10 years ago, Meg and I visited Llandrindod Wells station and introduced ourselves. We were given a tour of the nick including our old flat. Some of the rooms which were now being used as offices had the same wallpaper and the remains of the light pull over where our bed used to be!

I still remember the Welsh Nationalists troubles leading up to the investiture of Prince Charles as Prince of Wales in 1969. On the night shift we carried out pipeline patrols and checked quarry explosives stores. One particular inspection involved parking up the car and walking across fields to check on an inspection chamber for the Elan Valley pipeline - this little trip took 45 minutes on foot.

What I remember most that it was always freezing cold - I cannot recall the exact locations but by coincidence the pipeline crosses the river only 3 miles north of where I now live in Stourport-on-Severn. 

I transferred to West Mercia Constabulary in December 1970 and finally retired in 1992 having spent much of my service on traffic as a Sergeant working M5 and for a time M6, shortly after it opened through Birmingham, including Spaghetti Junction and the link to M5. 

On retirement from the force I went into local government and worked for over 12 years as a planning enforcement officer for a council in Worcestershire - just on the edge of Birmingham. I am a member of NARPO here in Worcestershire and do so appreciate the work of its members and officers. Finally, best wishes to all those that remember Meg and I for Christmas and the New Year. Regards from Peter (PC 153 / 753).



Article submitted by Phil Hopkins

While enjoying a visit to the Royal Welsh Show in July, I met Superintendent Robin Mason (Divisional Commander for Ceredigion and Powys). During our conversation, he reminded me that over 20 years ago I sold him the Red Kite pin badge (see below) which he was proudly wearing. I shared with him the story of the Red Kite badge.

Many, if not most of you, will have been serving in 1993 and will recall that that year was the silver anniversary of the formation of the Dyfed Powys Police (1st April 1968).  The Chief Constable at the time, Mr Ray White wanted to recognise the occasion and suggested that the force raised a total of £25,000 to be given to charity.  He set each division - eight at that time - the target of £3,000 with the outstanding £1,000 the target of Headquarters.

At the time I was stationed at Welshpool and came up with the idea of the sale of pin badges.  I had attended several Police Federation conferences and City of London Police federation representatives were at every one selling Rupert the Bear pin badges - they came up with a different design every year and raised thousands of pounds which was used to provide holidays for dependants of murdered and injured RUC officers.

I chose the design of the Red Kite as it is the logo of Powys County Council, easily recognisable and associated with Powys.  With the assistance of Barrie Beynon of the Force Finance Department, I secured an interest free loan which enabled me to pay for the manufacture of 500 badges.  This cost in the region of £300 and the badges retailed at £1 each, making a profit of around £200 on the first batch, which sold like hot cakes.  After a couple of similar orders, I was able to repay the loan and pay for the badges out of the profit generated from the sales of the badges. Subsequent orders were slightly cheaper as the mould had already been cast and so the profit margin was a little higher.

The Chair of the Police Authority at the time was County Councillor Marilyn Roberts from Brecon, who was very supportive of the police.  She helped me sell several badges, selling them to people she came into contact with in her council and Police Authority duties (you didn't say no to Councillor Roberts)!

I also developed a contact with Reception staff at Powys County Hall in Llandrindod Wells where the badges were displayed for sale.  

The charity which I chose was Hope House children's hospice, based in Oswestry (above), which also catered for children in Mid Wales.  During the year, the sale of badges raised in the region of £1,000. I continued to sell the badges for another three or four years which raised around another £1,000 for Hope House.  Then with the demand for the badges falling, I passed the responsibility onto my contact at Llandrindod Wells, as there would still be a demand, albeit small, at County Hall.

The Red Kite badges travelled all over the force area, so if any of you are in possession of one, you now know the story of it.



Article and photographs supplied by Phil Hopkins.

I know that there are other branch members who, like me, went to the Euros, but I thought that I would share some memories of my once in a lifetime trip.

My son Gareth and I had decided to make the trip to France soon after Wales secured their qualification last autumn.   When the draw was made in December, his planning went into overdrive.  I had seen on the television that Lyon would be a central location on which to base your trip.  We therefore booked four night’s accommodation, bearing in mind that at that time we did not know what matches we would obtain tickets for.  What was known was the location of the Wales matches, so accommodation was booked in Bordeaux for two nights.  These bookings were made within minutes of the draw was made – less than three hours later, the prices of some hotels in Bordeaux had tripled.

As you may recall from my notes in a previous newsletter, I travelled to Brussels to watch Wales play Belgium in a qualifying match.  That trip was enough to secure two tickets for the opening Wales match against Slovakia.  Gareth managed to obtain tickets for the Portugal Iceland match at St Etienne, and then just a few weeks before our trip, he drove to Gillingham from Oxford, where he was on a course, to collect tickets for the Italy Belgium match at Lyon.

Tickets for the Wales England game at Lens, a small town less than an hour’s drive from the tunnel, were like gold dust, but three days before we left, Gareth managed to obtain one ticket for the match.  Despite my (admittedly minor!) protestations, he insisted that I was to have the ticket.

As I said, I left all the planning to Gareth and he came up trumps – everything ran like clockwork – even arriving at two restaurants for pre booked meals en route, on time.  The only glitch was beyond our control – a tram strike in Bordeaux making Plan B necessary for travelling arrangements around the city. 

The view from the stand at Bordeaux as the players line up before the Wales v Slovakia match

We went to the fan zone in Bordeaux for the opening game – France against Romania – an amazing experience, with all nationalities represented.  The singing of La Marseallaise by the French contingent was something else!  The French winner two minutes from time sent almost everyone home happy!

The atmosphere at Bordeaux on the day of the match was absolutely tremendous.  Fans of both teams were mingling together, without a hint of any trouble.  I am a proud Welshman, and the singing of Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau on this occasion was, I think, the most emotional of the countless times I have sung it.  I don’t mind admitting that I had a lump in my throat and felt close to tears.  Gareth Bale’s goal set the scene, and Hal Robson Kanu’s winner was the icing on the cake.  Gareth was wearing a Hal Robson-Kanu Tee shirt which was rather appropriate.

Hoppy Senior enjoying a pre match aperitif in the sun at Lyon

Onto Lyon for four days and two more matches.  While we were at St Etienne watching the game on the Tuesday evening, Gareth received a text from a friend who was in Paris – the same person who had sourced my ticket for the England game.  He had managed to obtain a ticket for Gareth for the England game, at face value.  The trip had suddenly got even better.

We had a free day on the Wednesday, so did the cultural thing of sightseeing in Lyon, taking in the regulation boat trip!

We had a long drive on Thursday, the day of the England game, so started off at five o’clock, to ensure that we were in time for Gareth to meet his mate and collect his ticket.  I spoke to several England supporters in Lens, all of whom had been in Marseille.  They were all mature people, who had followed their national team for several years and all stated that the whole experience in Marseille was the worst they had encountered – invoked mainly by Russians – I won’t call them fans or supporters. 

Gareth (Hoppy Junior) proudly holding the Wales flag at Lens before the match against England.

For 92 minutes of the game, we hoped for a result of some sort against England, but it was not to be. Although obviously disappointed, no one seemed to be disheartened – upwards and onwards seemed to be the philosophy.

One story from the hotel where we stayed for the final night of our trip – midway between Lens and Calais.  We were talking to a couple and it turned out that she is the daughter of Ted Jacobs – ex Sergeant 663, whose police house I moved into in Llandrindod Wells in 1978!   Ted, who joined the Breconshire Constabulary, is still going strong.  Small world!

Just a few thoughts to finish.  The total distance travelled in our eight days was 2,214 miles.  The Slovakia game was the seventh time I have watched Wales away – the previous six consisted of five defeats and one draw.  What a match to break my duck!  Throughout our trip of three bases and four matches, we did not see any trouble whatsoever – everyone was extremely good natured.  Since we have returned home, Wales have beaten Russia and Northern Ireland.  In fact I am writing this the day after the Northern Ireland game. We are on holiday in Italy for the quarter finals, but I have already checked that there is a room showing the match in our hotel!

My son has composed a blog of our trip, which I would thoroughly recommend to you if you have any interest in football and / or have a sense of humour. It can be found at www.euro2016roadtrip.blogspot.co.uk



In 2012, Mr Geoff Holman from Hayle, West Cornwall, purchased a BSA motor bike and embarked on a restoration project. To read Geoff’s account of the many hours of hard work which led to the discovery that the machine was initially owned by the Dyfed-Powys Constabulary click on KBX158G. 



Compiled by Harry Rees

I have in my possession perhaps better referred to as A Roll of the Force, a document which includes the date of service, names and collar numbers of all officers who have served within the Pembrokeshire Police since its formation in 1857 until 1968 when the force became part of Dyfed-Powys.

In relation to the photograph on the DPP NARPO website provided by Peter Dunkley, the schedule in my possession will show that his mother served from 18.8.1942 to 31.3.1945. In relation to the others named in the photograph please see below.

In respect of Inspector Jones, who later became the Deputy Chief Constable, I cannot be absolutely positive about his identity but he may have been Robert John Jones who served between 9.11.1933 and 17.9.1961. He progressed through the ranks and was promoted to Superintendent on 24.10.1942. He appears to be the only one to fit the bill.


         Name                                                                   Service

WAPC 2. M.W Hughes                                           15.12.1941- 22.12.1942

WAPC 8 D.M.Jenkins                                             31.8.1942 - 30.10.1944

WAPC 7 M.E.King                                                   18.8.1942- 31.3.1945         

WAPC Morgan,                                                                    NO RECORD

WAPC 5 B.Hosker,                                                  27.7.1942-31.3.1946

WAPC 4 W.M.Thomas                                            13.7.1942- 23.4.1943

WAPC 1 M.E. Hardaker.                                         8.12.1941-31.12.1945

WAPC  Davies,                                                                    SEE BELOW

Captain A T N Evans (Chief Constable)             11.5.1933 - 31.8.1958

Inspector Jones (later DCC)                                              SEE ABOVE

 WAPC Davies.                                                                    SEE BELOW

In addition, the schedule shows that:-

WAPC 3 EM.DAVIES    Served between 22.6.1942-19.9.1944

WAPC 6 P. DAVIES      Served between 1.8.1942 -15.9.1944

WAPC 9 M.I. DAVIES    Served between 31.8.1942-19.9.1944

The list that I have is in chronological order and of those WAPC’s that I have named they were the first nine to join the Auxiliary Corps.


In relation to Policewomen, the schedule indicates that the first full time Policewoman was WPC Mary Coleman No. 84 who joined on the 25.4.1947 ending her service on 23.2.1951.

Of interest, the next Policewoman to join the force was Dorothy Letty Mairwen James WPC 85 who joined on 11.11.1947 ending her service on 31.3.1955. It is to my knowledge that she married the late Clive Graham Murphy (Ex PC61) who retired from the force having reached the rank of Chief Superintendent.

In respect of Mrs Murphy, the Dyfed Powys NARPO membership list shows that she is currently living at Felin Foel, Llanelli.

Finally, in relation to the recent photograph on the website of the late Norman Richards and WPC Mary Morris No 104, Mary joined the force on 2.6.1952 and left on 11.8.1960




The following article was written by Mrs Janet Parsell (daughter of the late Mr Ken Lloyd) and recounts her father's life and Police career:

My father, Kenneth Bound Lloyd passed away peacefully aged 84 years, on Monday 10th August 2015, the last year of his life was spent in a nursing home in Aberdare.

Ken holding framed epaulettes, insignia and whistle from his Police career with three forces.

Dad was born on 27th August 1930 in Trefeglwys, near Llanidloes, son of a farm worker / road man, he was one of seven children. His first job was working in a hardware store in Llanidloes, aged fourteen. At eighteen he was called up for National Service and spent eighteen months at RAF Beaulieu in Hampshire.

He joined the Mid Wales Constabulary as PC 175 on 12th May 1951, following thirteen weeks at Bridgend Police Training Centre, was posted to Newtown where he met and married a local hairdresser, Eryl Edwina Morris on 27th September 1952. They had three children, Ann, who sadly passed away in 2012, Janet and Gareth.

A fleet of new Mid-Wales Constabulary patrol cars, pictured (L to R): Ted Jacobs, Ken Lloyd, Inspector Neville Walters, John Tutty and Gus Edwards

He was a Traffic Officer based at Newtown working alongside his good friend, Brian Stubbs, apparently they enjoyed many happy and memorable times together patrolling the roads of Montgomeryshire. On Friday 22nd November 1964, Dad was transferred to Llanfyllin, north of Welshpool, the same day that President John F Kennedy was assassinated! Three years later, he was transferred south to Penderyn and then to Cefn Coed, near Merthyr Tydfil. Upon the formation of the Dyfed-Powys Constabulary in 1968, his force number changed from PC 175 to PC 775.

During his time at Cefn Coed, Dad dealt with a tragic incident (see above) which made the headlines some 40 years later. In 1971, a 21 year old caver died on an expedition into Porth-yr-Ogof caves - one of Britain’s most dangerous caving systems. Dad was the investigating officer and although the incident was treated as a sudden death, there was no body as it was impossible to recover it. As a result, the young man remained in the location where he died for almost 40 years. In 2010, it came as a surprise for Dad to learn that the West Brecon Cave Rescue Team had managed to recover the body. While it was a tragic story, he was pleased that the remains could be released to the family, allowing them to hold a proper burial.

In 1974, following Local Government re-organisation, Dad opted to remain in Penderyn and transferred from Dyfed-Powys to South Wales Constabulary. He was now PC 2625 of Merthyr ‘A’ Division and he remained at Cefn Coed until his retirement in 1983.

Certificate of Service presented to Ken on his retirement in 1983

During his career spanning 32 years, he served in three forces, Mid Wales Constabulary, Dyfed-Powys and South Wales Constabulary. Dad often commented that he was immensely proud of 'keeping law and order on his beat'.

Following retirement, he lived in Penderyn then Cwmbach until his final year. Dad celebrated sixty years of happily married life before my mother sadly passed away in 2013. Dad leaves seven grandchildren and four great grandchildren.

Dad was a staunch supporter of the Mid Wales Constabulary Association until his latter years, attending functions where he enjoyed meeting up with former colleagues. He was a keen gardener, enjoyed helping family and friends on their farms, was good at DIY, a lifelong member of the church and supported Swansea City Football Club for nearly forty years, watching his beloved Swans on TV draw 2-2 with Chelsea just two days before he sadly passed away.

At his funeral on Tuesday 18th August 2015 there was standing room only in St. Mary Magdalene s Church, Cwmbach, his coffin was draped with the South Wales Police flag with his helmet, of which he was so immensely proud, sitting atop.

He really was a wonderful father of which I am very proud.



Well done to Dyfed-Powys NARPO member Andy Phillips of Saundersfoot who recently completed the gruelling 2015 Long Course  Course Weekend event held in Tenby - this article Andy gives an insight into how he took up such a demanding hobby.

A proud and tired Andy in Tudor Square,Tenbyafter receiving his medals

What is The Long Course Weekend?

Since 2010, South Pembrokeshire has played host to one of the most difficult triathlons in Wales – the Long Course Weekend. This unique event lasts three days in July, accommodating some of the best triathlon talent in the world, including a number of IRONMAN UK athletes. The event serves as the perfect preparation for the IRONMAN Wales event which is held in Tenby during September when athletes complete all three disciplines in one day!

Swimmers making their way to the first marker buoy during the 2.4 mile swim

To kick-off the weekend, on the Friday evening, the Long Course athletes have the Wales Swim to complete – nearly 2,000 swimmers compete in a 2.4 mile open water swim that starts and finishes on Tenby’s picturesque North Beach. On Saturday, their attention turns to The Wales Sportive cycle ride - 112 miles of undulating, beautiful south Pembrokeshire countryside lined with enthusiastic crowds. To finish off the weekend, the athletes have the daunting task of completing the 26.2 miles of The Wales Marathon, which is a fantastic event in its own right.

Runners passing through East End Square, Pembroke during the marathon & half marathon event.

So how did Andy get involved in such a demanding sport?

‘I had always been a runner, especially after leaving the army, but after watching the first two Ironman Wales events I was inspired and started training to become a tri-athlete.  I completed my first Sprint Triathlon in April 2013, a month before my 50th birthday, and then in June of the same year I travelled to the New Forest and participated in my first Middle Distance event.  

During that year I entered all three events of the Long Course Weekend in Tenby and a few months later completed Ironman Wales with a time of 13 hrs 41 minutes.  I have now completed three Long Course Weekends and a second Ironman Wales in 2014.  

At the end of July, I will be travelling to Nottingham to compete in the Outlaw Triathlon - another full distance Ironman event, thankfully the course is a bit flatter than in Pembrokeshire!  Swimming is my weakest discipline, and so last year I also completed the Caldey Island to Tenby Swim which gave me more confidence in undertaking the Ironman swim discipline, which was very difficult in 2014 due to the rough sea conditions’.

For the record, here are Andy’s times for the 2015 event:



Overall Position










Finish Time



(During his Police career Andy served throughout the force area including Welshpool, Newtown, Pembroke Dock, Carmarthen and Haverfordwest.  He retired in July 2014 as the Inspector in charge of the Operations Protect Team at Thornton, Milford Haven and had overall responsibility for the ARV’s located in Pembrokeshire, Ceredigion and Llandrindod Wells. He is currently the Operations Manager at Cranc CycleSport in Carmarthen, which deals in fitting, selling, repairing and servicing bikes which is very much linked to Andy’s hobby!)

If you have been inspired to take part in the 2016 Long Course Weekend by reading this article, then you can enter by clicking on: http://longcourseweekend.com/enter/

Thanks to Andy for giving us an insight into the ultimate endurance challenge – additional information compiled by Hugh Colley




While most of us were ‘enjoying’ a cold Welsh winter, Hugh Colley and his wife Libby visited New Zealand recently where the country is enjoying a heatwave summer. During their visit, Hugh took time out to call into the local Police Station to learn about policing this beautiful part of the world.

To read the article as a PDF file (complete with photos) click HERE.


Pembrokeshire Police 1857-1968


      The crest of Pembrokeshire Police which adorns the wall of St. David's Cathedral and a 1909 photograph of Pembrokeshire officers                      

On the 16th May 1966 the then Home Secretary Roy Jenkins announced that the number of police forces in England and Wales was to be reduced from 117 to 49. Where the local authorities did not agree a voluntary scheme, then the government would make compulsory amalgamations. It transpired that on the 1st April 1968 Pembrokeshire Constabulary amalgamated with the Carmarthenshire and Cardiganshire Constabulary and with the Mid Wales Constabulary to form the existing Dyfed – Powys Constabulary the largest Police Force in acreage in England and Wales.

To commemorate this momentous occasion a dinner dance was held on the evening of Wednesday 20th March 1968 at the Market Hall in Haverfordwest for all ranks and civilian staff of the Pembrokeshire Force.

Prior to this, on Sunday 17th March 1968 (St.Patricks Day) a service and a final parade was held for all officers with  a service of commemoration being held at St. David’s Cathedral. During the service to honour the end of the Pembrokeshire Force which had existed since 1857 the Pembrokeshire Force Crest was unveiled by Major The Hon. Richard Hanning Phillips M.B.E. Lord Lieutenant for Pembrokeshire and dedicated by the Very Reverend T.E. Jenkins, B.A. BD.Dean of St. David’s.


Photograph of the final Parade which took place at the Bishops Palace, St. David’s Cathedral on Sunday 17th March 1968.

On 2nd June, 1982 the Pembrokeshire Police Officers Association was formed with the object of keeping alive and to foster the comradeship of members who served in the Pembrokeshire Police. Membership was open to any person who served in the Pembrokeshire Police, to include civilian employees.

Today, members of the association meet up twice a year, at an AGM in June and at a more formal dinner held in November.

Many thanks to Harry Rees and Tony Eden for this article.





Llangadog is situated in the heart of the Towy Valley half way between Llandeilo and Llandovery. A village with a population of approximately 1,000 people it is situated on the western edge of the Brecon Beacons National Park and surrounded by beautiful rolling hills and pasture with stunning views towards the Black Mountains. However, this picturesque tranquil village has not always been so peaceful with two murders being committed there albeit a very long time ago!


            Llangadog in a by-gone era                                           Llangadog today

In 1768, nine men were tried at Hereford for the murder of William Powell, of Glanareth, Llangadog. Evidence was given in Welsh. The following were found guilty, and were hanged on March 30th at Hereford: William Spiggott, William Morris, David Morgan (alias Lacey), William Walter Evan and Charles David Morgan, all of Llangadog, and David Llewellyn of Llandovery. Those acquitted were William Thomas (alias Blink), John Spiggott and William Charles although Thomas, and Walter Evan, who had turned king's evidence, were subsequently hung for other crimes.

The instigator of the crime, William Williams, wished to marry Powell's wife and therefore planned her husband's murder. (Mrs Williams claimed that her husband had twice tried to murder her, in one case through poisoning her tea.) Powell was set upon in his own parlour on 8th January 1768 by the accused and received 20 wounds, eight of which were said to be mortal. The footprints of Charles David Morgan and spots of blood were traced in the snow, and Morgan in turn accused several of his accomplices. Powell was buried in the chancel of Llangadog church.

Three years later, Williams' brother John and two others were tried on the charge of being accomplices in the murder, and were acquitted.

The main culprit, William Williams managed to escape legal retribution. He fled the country to France, keeping a school near St Omer's. However he also met a sudden death; a boat cruise ended in disaster and he drowned, along with some of his pupils.

In 1817, there was another hanging of a Llangadog man accused of murder. Rees Thomas Rees, a preacher of Gellibant, near Llangadog, was convicted of administering a poisonous drug to Elizabeth Jones, of Ynystoddeb, Gwynfe, Llangadog, which caused her death.

Rees and Elizabeth were lovers, but when she became pregnant, her father refused his permission for the marriage. At her request, Rees obtained a drug to end the pregnancy, which poisoned her. He fled to Liverpool intending to emigrate to America. There he changed his mind and despite the entreaties of his friends, returned to Carmarthen where he surrendered himself, trusting in his innocence of intention to murder.

However, the court was not sympathetic, and he was executed a few days later. A sympathetic crowd, claimed to be over 10,000 people, attended the occasion and by all accounts were deeply moved by his last prayers.

Article submitted by Nigel Williams (ex Inspector) and photographs of old Llangadog reproduced with the kind permission of Llangadog Community website.























English Welsh