English Welsh



Pembrokeshire Police 1857-1968The crest of Pembrokeshire Police which adorns the wall of St. David's Cathedral and a 1909 photograph of Pembrokeshire officers.
On the 16th May 1966 the then Home Secretary Roy Jenkins announced that the number of police forces in England and Wales was to be reduced from 117 to 49. Where the local authorities did not agree a voluntary scheme, then the government would make compulsory amalgamations. It transpired that on the 1st April 1968 Pembrokeshire Constabulary amalgamated with the Carmarthenshire and Cardiganshire Constabulary and with the Mid Wales Constabulary to form the existing Dyfed – Powys Constabulary the largest Police Force in acreage in England and Wales.
To commemorate this momentous occasion a dinner dance was held on the evening of Wednesday 20th March 1968 at the Market Hall in Haverfordwest for all ranks and civilian staff of the Pembrokeshire Force.
Prior to this, on Sunday 17th March 1968 (St.Patricks Day) a service and a final parade was held for all officers with  a service of commemoration being held at St. David’s Cathedral. During the service to honour the end of the Pembrokeshire Force which had existed since 1857 the Pembrokeshire Force Crest was unveiled by Major The Hon. Richard Hanning Phillips M.B.E. Lord Lieutenant for Pembrokeshire and dedicated by the Very Reverend T.E. Jenkins, B.A. BD.Dean of St. David’s.
Pembrokeshire Police Final ParadePhotograph of the final Parade which took place at the Bishops Palace, St. David’s Cathedral on Sunday 17th March 1968.
On 2nd June, 1982 the Pembrokeshire Police Officers Association was formed with the object of keeping alive and to foster the comradeship of members who served in the Pembrokeshire Police. Membership was open to any person who served in the Pembrokeshire Police, to include civilian employees.
Today, members of the association meet up twice a year, at an AGM in June and at a more formal dinner held in November.
Many thanks to Harry Rees and Tony Eden for this article.