English Welsh



The following article was written by Mrs Janet Parsell (daughter of the late Mr Ken Lloyd) and recounts her father's life and Police career:
My father, Kenneth Bound Lloyd passed away peacefully aged 84 years, on Monday 10th August 2015, the last year of his life was spent in a nursing home in Aberdare.
ONE CAREER - THREE FORCESKen holding framed epaulettes, insignia and whistle from his Police career with three forces.
Dad was born on 27th August 1930 in Trefeglwys, near Llanidloes, son of a farm worker / road man, he was one of seven children. His first job was working in a hardware store in Llanidloes, aged fourteen. At eighteen he was called up for National Service and spent eighteen months at RAF Beaulieu in Hampshire.
He joined the Mid Wales Constabulary as PC 175 on 12th May 1951, following thirteen weeks at Bridgend Police Training Centre, was posted to Newtown where he met and married a local hairdresser, Eryl Edwina Morris on 27th September 1952. They had three children, Ann, who sadly passed away in 2012, Janet and Gareth.
A fleet of new Mid-Wales Constabulary patrol cars, pictured (L to R): Ted Jacobs, Ken Lloyd, Inspector Neville Walters, John Tutty and Gus Edwards.
He was a Traffic Officer based at Newtown working alongside his good friend, Brian Stubbs, apparently they enjoyed many happy and memorable times together patrolling the roads of Montgomeryshire. On Friday 22nd November 1964, Dad was transferred to Llanfyllin, north of Welshpool, the same day that President John F Kennedy was assassinated! Three years later, he was transferred south to Penderyn and then to Cefn Coed, near Merthyr Tydfil. Upon the formation of the Dyfed-Powys Constabulary in 1968, his force number changed from PC 175 to PC 775.
During his time at Cefn Coed, Dad dealt with a tragic incident (see above) which made the headlines some 40 years later. In 1971, a 21 year old caver died on an expedition into Porth-yr-Ogof caves - one of Britain’s most dangerous caving systems. Dad was the investigating officer and although the incident was treated as a sudden death, there was no body as it was impossible to recover it. As a result, the young man remained in the location where he died for almost 40 years. In 2010, it came as a surprise for Dad to learn that the West Brecon Cave Rescue Team had managed to recover the body. While it was a tragic story, he was pleased that the remains could be released to the family, allowing them to hold a proper burial.
In 1974, following Local Government re-organisation, Dad opted to remain in Penderyn and transferred from Dyfed-Powys to South Wales Constabulary. He was now PC 2625 of Merthyr ‘A’ Division and he remained at Cefn Coed until his retirement in 1983.
ONE CAREER - THREE FORCESCertificate of Service presented to Ken on his retirement in 1983
During his career spanning 32 years, he served in three forces, Mid Wales Constabulary, Dyfed-Powys and South Wales Constabulary. Dad often commented that he was immensely proud of 'keeping law and order on his beat'.
Following retirement, he lived in Penderyn then Cwmbach until his final year. Dad celebrated sixty years of happily married life before my mother sadly passed away in 2013. Dad leaves seven grandchildren and four great grandchildren.
Dad was a staunch supporter of the Mid Wales Constabulary Association until his latter years, attending functions where he enjoyed meeting up with former colleagues. He was a keen gardener, enjoyed helping family and friends on their farms, was good at DIY, a lifelong member of the church and supported Swansea City Football Club for nearly forty years, watching his beloved Swans on TV draw 2-2 with Chelsea just two days before he sadly passed away.
At his funeral on Tuesday 18th August 2015 there was standing room only in St. Mary Magdalene s Church, Cwmbach, his coffin was draped with the South Wales Police flag with his helmet, of which he was so immensely proud, sitting atop.
He really was a wonderful father of which I am very proud.